Current:Home > InvestPoinbank:Crews begin removing debris amid ongoing search for worker trapped after Kentucky mine collapse -Capitatum
Poinbank:Crews begin removing debris amid ongoing search for worker trapped after Kentucky mine collapse
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 21:28:41
Crews began the arduous process of removing layers of rubble and Poinbankdebris in the search for a missing worker Thursday at a collapsed coal mine preparation plant in eastern Kentucky where a second worker died.
The 11-story abandoned building crashed down Tuesday night at the Martin Mine Prep Plant in Martin County while it was undergoing work toward its demolition. Officials briefly made contact with one of the two men working inside, but announced Wednesday he died amid rescue efforts. Authorities said Thursday they have not had any communication with the second worker since the building collapsed at around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in Inez, a town of about 500 people.
“We haven’t given up hope,” Martin County Judge Executive Lon Lafferty said at a news conference with reporters Thursday.
Lafferty said a family member of the deceased man was at the site before he died and was able to speak with him. Crews have located his remains, but have not yet been able to remove them.
Lafferty said the process has taken a mental and physical toll on rescue workers, calling them “the most mentally strong and emotionally strong people, the bravest people” he’s ever known.
“To go underneath a structure like that and risk your own life to try to secure someone else’s life I think is one of the greatest attributes of the human spirit,” he said, adding: “You can’t be involved in something like this and not have emotions about it.”
Crews have delved under layers of steel and concrete with search dogs and listening devices, he said. In the second full day of rescue efforts, officials are removing the debris into smaller piles for the search.
Heavy equipment is being hauled to Inez from across Kentucky and out-of-state to help with the efforts. Louisville Metro Emergency Services Director Jody Meiman said some began arriving on the site Wednesday night. Search groups have been assigned to comb through rubble as it is removed.
“It’s a very methodical process, it’s a very slow process, but it’s a process that has to take place in order to get down into the building in where that last known location was,” he said.
He said responders were being rotated in shifts. Meiman said the building moved several times Wednesday.
“It is dangerous. It continues to be dangerous,” he said.
Director of Kentucky Emergency Management Col. Jeremy Slinker said rescuers worked throughout Wednesday night without breaks. Slinker estimated that up to 50 rescue workers and 25 support personnel at a time were involved in the search.
“We’re planning it out for a long operation and what we hope is we have some happy success really quick,” he said.
Several state agencies have begun investigations into the collapse and possible causes, including Kentucky state police.
The Kentucky Division of Occupational Safety and Health Compliance said one of its officers was on site and that an inspection had been opened with Lexington Coal Company LLC, which had contracted with Skeens Enterprises LLC for site demolition and salvage operations.
The division said the investigation could take up to six months to complete.
President Lyndon Johnson visited Inez during his “War On Poverty” in 1964.
In 2000, a coal-sludge impoundment in Inez collapsed, sending an estimated 300 million gallons into the Big Sandy River and its tributaries. A byproduct of purifying coal, the sludge oozed into yards and streams for miles in what was considered one of the South’s worst environmental disasters at the time.
veryGood! (12)
Related
- 51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
- Bronny James' Coach Shares Update After He Misses First USC Practice Since Cardiac Arrest
- 2 Central American migrants found dead in Mexico after trying to board a moving train
- Taylor Swift attends Kansas City Chiefs game, boosting sales of Travis Kelce jerseys 400%
- USA women's basketball live updates at Olympics: Start time vs Nigeria, how to watch
- Cher Accused of Hiring 4 Men to Kidnap Her Son Elijah Blue Allman
- Bruce Springsteen postpones all 2023 tour dates until 2024 as he recovers from peptic ulcer disease
- Target announces nine store closures, cites 'organized retail crime'
- Connie Chiume, Black Panther Actress, Dead at 72: Lupita Nyong'o and More Pay Tribute
- Montana judge blocks enforcement of law to ban gender-affirming medical care for minors
Ranking
- Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
- New York bans facial recognition in schools after report finds risks outweigh potential benefits
- Why Julia Fox's Upcoming Memoir Won't Include Sex With Kanye West
- Massachusetts man stabs five officers after crashing into home following chase, police say
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- The Mega Millions jackpot is up for grabs again, this time for $230M. See winning numbers
- How Landon Barker Really Feels About Dad Travis Barker and Kourtney Kardashian Expecting a Baby Boy
- Man serving sentence for attacking parents fails to return to halfway house and considered escapee
Recommendation
Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
Police charge man in deadly Georgia wreck, saying drivers were racing at more than 100 mph
Find Out When Your Favorite Late Night TV Shows Are Returning Post-Writers Strike
Michigan State fires coach Mel Tucker for bringing ridicule to school, breaching his contract
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Climate change and the shift to cleaner energy push Southeast Asia to finally start sharing power
Kate Middleton Shows Off Her Banging New Look in Must-See Hair Transformation
Brooks Robinson, Baseball Hall of Famer and 'Mr. Oriole', dies at 86